Sunday, September 7, 2008

Speech Therapy Day 5

Jake was still in super-excited mode when we went to Speech Therapy. There was just no way to slow him down long enough for him to focus on anything, but somehow Elizabeth managed to get him still for a few minutes. Jake found a sandbox full of dry beans and rice and she stripped him down to his diaper and put him inside. Although there were beans and rice all over the entire room by the time it was over, this activity actually managed to get Jake to focus on one activity for a few mintes. This gave Elizabeth and I time to talk. She helps me fine-tune what I'm doing at home, which is more than I can ask for.

It is sort of confusing that Jake will stay focused on one thing for super long periods (stimming) but can't be made to concentrate for more than a few seconds when in a teaching/learning situation.

One of the advantages that having Jake at full-throttle speed is that he talks a LOT. When he's in his slower, whinier more withdrawn mode he talks very little. I never know how long each stage will last or when he's going to switch, but hopefully therapy is going to help him even out a bit.

Today I swear Jake said "I want to go to the penguin store." (penguin store= the aquarium). I couldn't be sure that he actually uttered the entire sentence because he was turned away from me, and I couldn't get him to repeat it. However, a few minutes later:
Jake: "Ride car"
Me: "Where do you want to go in the car Jake?"
Jake: "Ride car, go to city."
Me: "Where do you want to go in the city?"
Jake: "Penguin store."

That was quite a conversation. I was thrilled with it. I think he says "Penguin store" because "Aquarium" comes out "cream eat" and he doesn't like being misunderstood. He is putting a lot more sentences together like later today he said, "Ride Car, go mexican restaurant, eat tacos."

Tomorrow morning we head to the "Penguin Store." I'm taking our babysitter with us for fun.