Thursday, September 18, 2008

Occupational Therapy Day 4

Cindy is still trying to get a feel for Jake, however, after reading the sensory profile that I filled out, she had a much different approach to working with him. She decided to let him lead. Meanwhile, I was videotaping the first few minutes of their interactions so that she can get started on that. She was much more successful getting him to interact with her by letting him decide what activity he was finally going to settle down and do. It was probably also helpful that I took him shopping and wore him completely out before we got there.

I asked her about his drawing, and she said that we should probably watch the issue as a "lost skill," although she took into account what I told her, which was that he often lost interest or seemed to lose the ability to draw any time he was gaining other skills.

Jake had a wonderful surprise during the last 15 minutes of his visit. Bridgett, one of his very favorite people in the world, showed up for her own OT appointment early (totally planned by Heather, Cindy, and I). Cindy was interested in seeing how Jake interacted with other children, and Heather was understanding enough to allow her daughter (a couple of months older, but much smaller than Jake and disabled from cerebral palsy..but don't tell HER that) to withstand the onslaught of a very excited Jake. I guess the "quote of the day" came from Cindy. Its something that I have said a million times when trying to explain Jake's social issues to others, but coming from someone with so much knowledge, and who seems to always have a clinical way of speaking, it just tugged at my heart. She said: "What is so sad about this is, he wants so badly to play with her, to interact with her. Its so obvious that he likes her so much." I don't show emotions when people are watching if I can help it, but I can't think about her saying that sitting here alone without tears coming to my eyes. I wanted to scream "YES! exactly! thats what I keep trying to tell everyone." I know that this is why we don't get invited to so many playgroups. The more Jake likes someone.. the more he hurts them physically. Never in anger or as an act of cruelty, but just because he seems to have no idea what to do with his body when his mind decides "hey! you're cool!"

It seems like we have a long way to go with him when it comes to this particular behavior. More so than speech, cognition and everything else combined. It is the biggest issue that I have when it comes to dealing with my family as well, because no matter how much I beg them, I can't get them to understand that Jake is too big to touch others inappropriately. He is allowed to jump on them, grab them, pinch them, twist their arms around to see their watches. Mamaw encourages him to grab at her throat and pinch while she makes a "frog" sound. A habit that caused him to painfully choke a young girl at a playgroup once while he happily yelled "frog! frog!" Even strangers, when he grabs their arm to look at their watch or when he pulls their clothing will say "Oh, he's OK!"

I am very very lucky to have understanding friends like Heather, Clyf, Bridgett and Cindy. Sometimes I don't know what I'd do without them.