Thursday, September 25, 2008

Occupational Therapy Day 5

Today was yet another interesting day at OT. Cindy couldn't believe how quiet and attentive Jake was. She wanted to know how long we spent at the park today before OT (about 45 minutes) and was in awe at how calm Jake was. I tried to express to her that this is just how he is. He is at maximum speed plus 100 MPH for a month, then settles down into the state that he was in today for a few weeks. Thats just life with Jake. You NEVER know what you are going to get.

I talked to Cindy quite a bit today. I told her about school. I told her about the bus. I gave her the report from the special ed department. I told her about the riding lessons. She seems to think that they were all wonderful ideas. I also told her that if school works out that we might drop the speech therapy with Elizabeth. For one thing.. it will save us a pantsload of money every month, and if he is getting therapy at the school, why should we screw up our saturdays when we could be doing other family activities? Cindy was in agreement that we should come up with the program that fit our lifestyle.

I enjoyed my talk with Cindy today. She has a lot of insight on every aspect of Jake's treatment that I bring up. I feel like she's a great friend and a great resource for our family, and I look forward to talking with her every week. If I could pick ONE person as an ally for our family in this journey, I think it would be her.

I am worried about my trip to Dr. Michaels office tomorrow. I will have Manny and Jake with me, as I really have no option for care at such a short notice (my husband being the only person who can or is willing to care for Manny, he just has had no opportunity to develop a relationship with any other caregivers...). Dr. Michaels office has recently lost staff, so the wait time in his office and lobby has sometimes been over an hour and a half for us. I am going at 11:30 which is naptime for Manny and lunchtime-quiet time for Jake. I just hope that I don't end up trying to talk out this very important consultation with Dr. Michaels over two restless boys. Wish me luck!