Friday, September 26, 2008

Pediatrician Visit

Thankfully, Steve was able to keep Manny while I took Jake to Dr. Michaels' office. It was probably a good thing too, since Manny napped the whole time I was gone (so Steve got a little work done) and we waited over an hour to get in to see the doctor. Dr. M. was extremely apologetic about our wait time, and Jake was extremely patient considering.

Dr. M couldn't find the report that Dr. Causo had sent, so while we waited on a copy to be faxed over, I told Dr. Michaels everything that Dr. Causo had said. I also had a copy of the prescription for all of the tests that Dr. C. had ordered. Dr. M. seemed to have a similar reaction that I had had last month after I left Dr. C's office. He said that he was really hoping for a simple diagnosis, and he really didn't think that Jake needed all of the tests that Dr. C listed. Well, he said that, in many more words.... I don't want to put words in his mouth, but this is what I gathered.

After we discussed a game-plan, Dr. M suggested that we get the metabolic, chromasomal and genetic testing done first. This will involve me taking Jake to a local diagnostic center for a blood pull. Then they'll send the samples off for testing and well wait a month (everything takes a month or 6 weeks these days).

I am confused as to whether or not I should follow up with Dr. Causo. Since we aren't doing ALL of the tests, do I go back to him? What are we trying to get again? A diagnosis, or "label"? Jake is getting services through the school and through Cindy, and insurance is paying all that they are going to pay either way. I DO want to get the genetic testing done to see what it tells us, but as far as getting a "diagnosis" based on what someone sees, I don't know how important that is. Dr. Michaels says that if we decide to move further, we can go to a Developmental Psychologist in Atlanta if we feel the need.

One day next week I will take Jake to Dalton Diagnostics and have blood drawn (cringe). I am glad that these tests will only require a blood draw. It will still probably be somewhat traumatic for Jake, but it will be over in just a few minutes. At least we're moving forward.