Saturday, September 13, 2008

Occupational Therapy Day 3

Steve had the day off Thursday and Manny was napping, so Jake and I visited Cindy's place just the two of us. Jake was his usual crazy self, but Cindy managed to get him calmed down a bit. She explained to me that she may seem like she's floundering around trying different things, because thats what she's doing. I was pleased with the visit, although, as usual, certain things that she points out scare me to death. When she put Jake on her "scooterboard" (like a carpeted skateboard) on his belly, rolls him down a ramp towards a big foam cube.. he is expected to put his hands out and push on the foam. She says that its a reflexive reaction, he's supposed to protect his face. Instead he barely stays on the board and needs her to hold him all the way down, and he crashes face first into the pad, laughing his head off. He loves it, and wants to do it again, but not enough to ask or attempt to talk.. instead he gets frustrated and runs willy-nilly about the room.

There's other things about the visit that I'd like to express, however I just finished reading "Emergence" by Temple Grandin and my brain is just too full. What amazing insight into the autistic brain this book has given. Not enough, but some. I am beginning "Animals in Translation" right now. Some of the things that Cindy does are starting to make sense.

I'll write more later... right now my brain is tired. The inlaws are invading my space this weekend.