Sunday, August 17, 2008

Speech Therapy Day 2

Elizabeth is still getting a feel for Jake, and for us as well, I think. Steve was able to come to the session on Saturday. I'm really glad that he did because sometimes I feel like I'm constantly correcting him because I can't always remember the information that is given to me until I see him doing something contrary to what the therapist says. Its so much easier for him to hear it from the therapist and not secondhand from me.

Jake and Elizabeth painted and played and we just sat back and watched. She gave us some more information and suggested that we think about getting Jake an augmentative communication device. I always think of Stephen Hawking when I think about those things. At first it really frightened me when she mentioned it, because I thought that she meant that Jake may not ever talk. But she seemed to think that it would be something he would rely less and less on. She said the units run from $3000 to $10,000 but insurance will usually cover some. I've been trying to read a little about these online and Steve wants to ask for more information next time.

It is very obvious that Jake is frustrated with his own lack of ability to communicate. Today he was signing and saying "water" to his Dad while Steve was working in the yard. Steve thought that he wanted water, so he told Jake to come upstairs and ask me for some. When I opened the door Jake seemed pretty distraught, but I handed him some water (as Steve had told me that Jake needed water). Jake absolutely fell apart and cried and cried. It was just lucky mommy guesswork that led me to figure out that he had wanted to water the plants outside, and was asking for water to do so with. The heartbreaking part was that he didn't even seem angry that he didn't get what he wanted, but seemed more frustrated and disappointed in himself than anything. He sat in his room and stared at the ceiling and cried and said "water, no no water, water, water water, no no drink water." It really seemed like a blow to his self esteem.

I'm anxious to ask more questions and have more sessions with Elizabeth.