Monday, August 18, 2008

More progress than we can handle?

Today Patty S. from the school system special education department called. She scheduled an arena evaluation for Jake on Monday. She seems like a super nice lady. The preschool and special ed center are at my old middle school, and I found out that my cousin is the speech therapist, and the preschool teacher is someone who lived on my street growing up. That's kinda cool.

Its kind of nice that all of this is happening at once, because Jake won't be too involved with TIPs should we decide to switch to the free services offered by the school system. We're just going to play it by ear from here. I am worried about the prospect of preschool after our previous nightmare experience, but if Jake would go and enjoy it, I would certainly send him. Otherwise, I may push more towards the homeschool while taking advantage of the programs offered highway.

Since Dr. M and his wife are both on vacation this week, we got a 2 week break from appointments, however next week looks pretty crazy: Monday: Special Ed Evaluation, Tuesday: Dr. Causo for medical evaluation, Friday: OT at 9:30 and Manny sees the doctor at 11:10 then Saturday is speech therapy. I knew it was going to be like this, but its hard not to get overwhelmed, especially with all of the decisions to make. I feel like its 100% up to me to get him everywhere, to decide what measures to take and my decisions are going to effect the rest of his life. It is a lot to think about and I want so badly to be doing the right things.

On a more cheerful note, our family vacation was a stupendous success. If you have tons of time, you can look at one hundred pictures here. Jake played with the other kids, Manny started crawling and cruising, and Mom and Dad really felt like they had nothing to do. It was a great feeling.