Saturday, August 30, 2008

Occupational Therapy: Day 2

After 2 weeks break, enjoyed his OT, and Steve got to go with us this time. Jake really likes Ms. Cindy, and I personally think that she's a genius. I really enjoy talking to her. I told her what the Dr. Causo said, and how I was greatly confused and surprised by it. We spoke about it at length, and she explained that I should get with Dr. Michaels (her husband) about it and we could discuss what we needed to do, and when. She assured me that none of it was an emergency and expressed concern that we had had a LOT of things happen at one time and it was OK to just sit back and take it all in.

Then I felt like we had a breakthrough. I expressed my feeling that, even though Dr. Causo felt that we should rule out other causes of Jake's issues, my GUT FEELING is that they will find nothing, and that Jake is just an autistic kid who doesn't show ALL of the autistic symptoms. Cindy basically said "you may well be right.. Jake doesn't show all the symptoms because you have always worked with him, somehow noticed his delays and deficiencies and made up for it, with sign language, etc." She then tried to make our heads blow up real big telling us what good parents we are, and that the babywearing, the attachment parenting, and the socialization has made all of the difference with Jake. So maybe his symptoms have been "masked" by good parenting? I hope so. Friday's visit was probably the most positive visit with anybody that we have had so far. Not just because we were rewarded with praise for our parenting choices, but because my gut feelings finally got some validation. Thanks miss Cindy.

Due to a friend's recommendation, I have become interested in RDI as a plan for helping Jake, although I had not had time yet to explore it very much. I asked Cindy if she had heard of it, and it just so happens that she's working to be certified in this method! She says that Jake is a prime example of the type of child who would be helped by this method (for example, a child with very limited body regulation skills) and wants to include him in her certification process. She would be using video of them interact to speak to the experts who are doing her certification, and they would help her fine tune both her skills, and the way that she interacts with Jake. I think that it is a great opportunity for him.

Again, it was a very positive session and for once I am feeling excited and hopeful.