Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Gut Flora Essay

I wanted to include a link to this essay in my blog. I think I'll actually add it to the links section (that I have yet to create). Whether or not Jake is autistic, or if there is some other explanation for his particular symptoms, I feel like this is possibly the only piece of literature that I have read that can explain the "epidemic" that this country is experiencing concerning autism and spectrum disorders. Before I was a mother of a child with spectrum symptoms, I didn't have as much trouble chalking it up to "overdiagnosis.". Now I am looking for answers. As a second generation formula fed child (I was given misinformation on this, so I triple checked with my grandfather to make sure) and a c-section baby.. this essay really hits home. Its something that our generation can not change, and something that our parents were not educated about, although we CAN treat the gut flora issues of our own children. I think that parents with children experiencing autism, autism spectrum, ADD/ADHD, depression, OCD, etc. should read this article. Thanks Rachel for forwarding this to me. It at least shows us a way to start therapy that is not drug-based or potentially harmful. Link below:

http://www.behealthy.org.uk/gaps.pdf