Thursday, June 4, 2009

Frustration, Anxiety, Anger

Almost 48 hours ago a nurse called and told me that they had found a tumor on my baby's brain. After I called the pediatrician's office twice, I finally got a call-back saying that they had Manny's appointment ready with the neurosurgeon. That appointment is scheduled for 2 weeks from today.

Manny is definitely getting worse relatively fast. Within the week between the visit to Dr. Michaels and the MRI, his gross motor skills have declined even more. His fine motor skills are also declining and he is again palming food instead of using a pincer grasp. I really don't want to wait two weeks. The sound of him hitting the floor after a quick few running steps that he didn't mean to take and knocking the breath out of himself is just too much to take. It is hard for me to put him down anywhere where he could fall. He has bitten through his tongue twice after falling on his chin or face. He is hard to hold because he is an active 21 month old who wants to explore. I wear him as much as possible.

I called the neurosurgeon's office and talked to the receptionist there. She was non-plussed by anything I said. I have researched the doctor that we are supposed to see, and although I "think" that he is our man, and the right person to go to.. I am simply guessing. Googling and trying to grasp at anything I can find.

I have called Dr. Michaels office a few more times in the last two days. I keep getting sent to voicemail. We really don't know if we should be treating Manny any differently or what we should be looking for. I am getting extremely anxious about not talking to anyone, and although I am "Doing OK" otherwise.... this level of anxiety threatens to send me over the edge.

I have written this while on hold with Dr. Michaels office.... for 25 minutes.