Thursday, October 16, 2008

Occupational Therapy Day 8

On Thursdays Jake is picked up by the bus at 7:15 (This morning he didn't wake us up until 6:57 and the bus came at 7:07... nothing like a Chinese fire drill to set the mood for the day). He is dropped off by the bus at 11:00 and we have 30 minutes to get him fed lunch and to be in the car to leave for OT.

Today's session went really well. Cindy was able to engage Jake in play for quite some time. He is leaving her less often and coming back to engage her after a few seconds break. Its really neat to see how they are growing together. At the end of the session I expressed my concerns to Cindy about having all of these tests run. I told her that I honestly didn't really like Dr. Causo or his recommendations. I feel like the tests are unneccesary and on top of that that they are a financial strain. We have only managed to get one of the tests done at all, and it would probably take a year to get them all finished. I really don't want to go back to him, and I feel just like Dr. Michaels seemed to when he said "Gosh, I was really hoping just to get a diagnosis." She suggested (and Dr. Michaels had also mentioned) that I contact Floortime Atlanta and have Jake see Dr. Deborah Dunbar who is a developmental psychologist who specializes with children with ASD. She is also one of the people who Cindy is working closely with to be certified. I talked to Steve about it and I think we are going to switch more to that path. I am not opposed to having the tests run on Jake, but I feel like I've been put into a position where, since the tests have been suggested we need to do them "just in case" and that not doing them is careless. However everything inside of me says that they are just unneccessary. Cindy assured me that, should Jake need any tests run in the future, or if we change our mind, that Dr. Michaels can order those tests. The financial part of it doesn't so much play a role, as we will find a way to afford anything Jake needs, however I would just like to find a path and stick to it... instead of floundering around doing some of this and some of that. I will contact Dr. Dunbar ASAP.

Aside from discussing that, Cindy again assured me that Jake will be high-functioning, but that the time to work with him to give him the tools to be so is right now. I again expressed my frustration with the term "high functioning." "What does that mean?! that he'll be able to dress himself, use the potty and tie his shoes, or that he will be able to be independent and happy and have relationships?" Her answer was "I think he has the potential to not only function highly in society, but to be extraordinary." Thats nice to hear, and I try to believe it.

In other news....
Jake still absolutely adores school. He is talking a lot mnore, and even though a lot of it is still echolalia, he is learning to occasionally answer a question correctly. He still tries "YES!" no matter what the question is, but he learning appropriate responses like asking "are you OK?" when someone else is hurt, or "I'm sorry, baby brother" when prompted, and he seems to at least act genuinely sorry and use correct inflection, instead of just yelling out the words. Jake came home today and wanted to play marching band (banging two pot lids together while Dad tried to talk on the phone). I "helped" the noise level by getting a harmonica, handing Manny a toy tambourine to shake while he rode on my back, and we had a full fledged marching band. I've been trying to get Jake to play this game since he could walk, but somehow they got him to do it at school. I was thrilled.

Today his notebook from school came back with this note:
"Great day! The Chick-fil-a cow came today. Jake didn't like the cow too much. He calmly told us "No, cow." "Bye Bye cow." He went back to the room and played on the computer and was happier. (I don't blame him, it was a BIG cow.)"

I am feeling a bit better this week and not so down. A whole week of being sick, complete with 2 days of fever so bad that Steve had to take off work because I couldn't lift the baby really took its toll on me. I really need all of my wits and health about me in order to function like I need to. I am glad to be well again. Here's to a sickness-free school year.