Thursday, October 2, 2008

Occupational therapy day 7

Today we met Cindy at Brookwood Park. Jake was very happy to see Cindy. He took both of our hands and led us to the playground. She has a way of interacting with him and engaging him that I am learning to model. She seems to say that she is still feeling him out, but she is getting good at it. She said before that she wants to be a special person in his life so that when she needs to challenge him and do some "risky stuff" with him, that he will trust her. I think that she is well on her way. Jake doesn't give many people names. As far as I know he only names: Mommy, Daddy, Brother(Manny, or baby), Mamaw, Papaw, Grandy, Courtney (the babysitter), and Bridgett. Today he said "Hi, Cindy" and at the end of the session "Bye Bye Cindy." She's managed to become special to him in less than a dozen meetings. I won't mention the fact that he didn't say "mommy" until he was over two years old.

Cindy is very supportive and is becoming a special person to me too. She doesn't just work with Jake (although that is her main objective, and she sometimes says "I'll talk to you later, let me do this with Jake" in not so many words) she also asks me about my husband and family and how they have dealt with Jake's issues. I am honest with her, and she makes me feel good about my parenting choices. When Steve and I were talking about dropping speech therapy in favor of letting him get speech therapy at school, I made it extra clear that I wouldn't drop OT with Cindy. "I'll groom extra dogs or sew extra packs, but we will keep Cindy. She is my ally." I can't fathom that someone can manage to be so "non-self-absorbed" (I couldn't find a good antonym) and take such an interest in the children that she serves. Of course, some might just call it "being professional" but I think that its more than that.

Tomorrow we go to the diagnostics center for a blood draw. I have put it off all week. Thankfully Mamaw will be coming over to watch Manny, so I don't have one baby screaming while another is held down for a blood test. Maybe Jake will surprise me and not freak out. We shall see. Looking forward to the end of this week!