Thursday, February 11, 2010

Another BCW meeting

Yesterday Ellen (service coordinator) and Susan ("former" OT) came to our house for another meeting to determine what services Manny will get from Babies Can't wait and for an evaluation. Ellen said that an evaluation is needed any time that a child shows regression. I opted to decline Susan's services. From what I can tell, she comes to Dalton twice per month, on two days that she determines a day or two in advance, and if that doesn't fit within the parent's schedule, then they must wait another two weeks. She doesn't come any other times. Unfortunately, she's the only OT that the entire area has, and that area is large. I was also offered once-per-week OT in a location a little over one hour away. I also declined that. They were able to offer a special instructor, a special education teacher in our area for over 30 years. I can't remember her first name at the moment. Her schedule is full until March, but after that she will be able to see Manny once per week either at school or here at my house. She is local (just up the road, actually), and it will be suggested to her that, in the event of a cancellation, she try to see Manny twice per week.

I'm sure that Susan is a fine OT, but with her strict schedule and my need for advanced notice, it just wasn't working out. She gave me some ideas to work with Manny. They were great ideas, but seemed optimistic of his developmental level.

Just a few hours after our meeting ended, the special instructor called to let me know that she was excited to see Manny, that she was on board and "I WILL be there." I can only hope that she really means what she says. Meanwhile, Manny will begin to see Cindy next week. Things are "almost" happening. I try to be optimistic.

I went to Manny's preschool Valentine's day party today. I had flashbacks to Jake's Valentine's party, which took place in the same room with Ms. Dixcee. That was my first HUGE wake-up call that Jake was nowhere NEAR the other kids on a developmental level, but I was a first-time mom, and trying to make sense of it. With Manny, I know, and it is inherently more obvious. Manny is so much more behind than Jake was. I'm more prepared, but it doesn't hurt less. The other children are sitting and eating and asking respectfully for more juice or chips, while Manny smears food everywhere, and spits out much of what he puts in his mouth. A substitute aid, a grandmother, was hovering over Manny (even though I was RIGHT there sitting with him) and worried aloud if he would choke on an apple slice (not a stretch at all). Manny can't drink out of a juice box efficiently. He doesn't care about the packages put in front of him as valentines gifts, even though they contain candies and toys. Compared to the other children, he's just not there.. he's an infant who can walk.. at least pretty well.

I asked the teachers point-blank if he is a distraction in class, or just too much trouble. I thanked them profusely for taking care of him, and let them know that I know that he requires extra care, and how much it means to him to be around typical kids. His teacher went on and on about how they'd absolutely LOVE to have the special instructor or OT come to class and give them ideas for things that they can do. We had this discussion openly in front of all of the other parents. They just sat quietly. None of the other parents spoke to me. I don't really blame them. Not only do I look different (what's new?), but I have the different child. It must be as uncomfortable for them as it is for me in those moments.

Jake is doing great at school. His teachers send me his art and writing and I chuckle because I have pages and pages of these at home, and don't even get me started on the doodle pad entries I wish I could save.

Jake has an axillary freckle (cafe au lait spot under his armpit) which is a diagnostic element of NF1. I noticed it around the time Manny was diagnosed. Since then he has only recently developed what looks like a quarter sized cafe-au-lait spot in his underwear area. Again, the placement and development is consistent with NF1. I should probably burn my computer, or at least disable google.