Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Second Rate Citizens

Manny was accepted to Babies Can't Wait at the beginning of September. I was told at the time that the OT was out of town, and it would be close to a month before his first visit. I'm used to waiting months for anything to happen, so this didn't sound odd to me at all. Since that time Manny has had two visits from the Occupational therapist, who cancelled twice, Manny was sick once, and then I did not hear from her for two months. I called the service coordinator at the beginning of January and voiced my concerns.

Susan, the OT called me one day last week and said that she was yet again out of town, but she set up an appointment for Manny for Friday February 5th. That would be 8 weeks from his last scheduled appointment, which was also cancelled. She said she'd had issues with her mother in Florida, and we had had one day of in climate weather as well.

During those few months that Manny has received no services, his abilities have declined dramatically. As I have written before, his eye contact is almost nonexistent, any spoken language that remained has disappeared, and he has stopped using sign language. Would that be different should he have received OT during this time? I don't know. I guess I can add that to the list of questions that I will ask myself every day for the rest of my life. Every bit of literature that I read states that early intervention is the KEY to success for these children, yet, getting services is a nightmare.

At this point I told Steve I couldn't take one more day of doing nothing for my son. We decided to seek services through Cindy, even if we had to pay out of pocket (approx $400 per month). I called Linda, Cindy's receptionist, and she called me back promptly, saying that all I needed was a prescription from Dr. Michaels. After a half dozen phone calls to Dr. Michaels' office and no response, I finally had to do what I hate doing, calling and making a complete jack-ass out of myself, crying on the phone to the receptionist and basically threatening to "come down there" if she sent me to voicemail one more time. After 2 weeks of calling and getting no response, my jack-ass sort of behavior got them to not only call me back within 20 minutes, but it got a prescription written up and a staff member to personally walk the prescription over to Linda's office. Sheesh. Now I have an appointment on Wednesday with Cindy.

To be fair, Susan (the State OT) left a message with me yesterday, but our land-line was out of order and I didn't get the message. She called today and I answered and she wanted to come see Manny tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have a zillion things lined up for tomorrow and had lined up childcare for Manny. From what I gathered, it was tomorrow or nothing, and she now said that she would be out of town for another week and a half after that. She says that she doesn't recall calling me and making an appointment for the 5th.

At that point I sort of lost it, telling her that I am not a stay-at-home mom. Even though I work at home, I actually do have a job. I need to know more than one day in advance that she is coming. On the day that I DO have an appointment with her, I promise that every attempt, barring illness or fire, will be made to be respectful of her time. I explained that it felt like, because of one mistake on my part, that I had been written off as someone who wasn't going to be respectful of her time. I told her about Manny's regressions, that I was basically in a panic to get SOME sort of help for my son. While I don't blame her for having her own family/car/weather issues, that still doesn't help Manny. I mentioned that I was trying to get him in with Cindy. Of course she told me that I could not do private OT AND state OT. She also mentioned that, because cases like mine where the parents have insurance are such a "headache" and the paperwork was a "nightmare" she had made the choice not to even bill for Manny. "So you aren't getting paid anything to see Manny?" Exactly how am I supposed to feel about that? Well, you can imagine. It was time to go get Manny from school, I told her I had to go and hung up.

I tried not to sob uncontrollably while I was picking up Manny.. it didn't work. Luckily Manny's teacher has an autistic son, so all I had to tell her was that I was being blown off by the State OT and she patted my back and said that she understands.

Later Susan called back and attempted to smooth things over. I don't blame her, exactly.. however I do feel like our area would probably be better off if she would quit, leaving the State to have to pay for services from someone who actually has time and motivation to do the job, instead of leaving us to feel like we're just being strung along until the child is three years old. I really feel like Susan just wanted to make sure I didn't think that because "insurance cases like mine are such a huge headache" that was why she hasn't really bothered about Manny, or even attempted to call and let me know why she wasn't seeing him. It really didn't work. I'm trying not to be one-sided about this, but I'm the parent watching my child's abilities go in the toilet every day. She also offered to come to see him tonight, "late, like 8 PM." I'm sure, by refusing that, because that's his and Jake's bedtime, that I was once again trashing our chances of getting any state help for paying for his OT.

I'm not angry at Susan or the people at Babies Can't Wait (well, obviously babies CAN wait.. for a very very long time), but I'm completely and utterly disgusted with the system. I worry all the time that my special children will be treated as second rate citizens when they are older should they become special needs adults. I don't really have to wonder, as already I feel like we are treated like people who are just trying to mooch off of the system. The fact that Steve and I have a decent income between us many times only makes it worse. We can't afford to pay for all of the care that isn't paid for by our insurance, however the fact that we HAVE insurance causes the system to work even less for our children.

I'm tired of fighting. Maybe I'm not doing the right thing for those who will follow us in struggling with Babies Can't Wait by giving up, but we have to do the best we can for Manny. The ONLY gift that I can give him right now to ensure that he is the best that he can be is the right services and help RIGHT NOW. I simply have no other choice other than to get him real services with a good occupational therapist, EVERY week, not every other week.. maybe.. if she has time for Manny. I will write a letter of due process and try to get BCW to pay for those OT appointments that have not been provided through them since he was accepted, and will continue to get OT with Cindy, someone who I KNOW is on our side and who we can trust.