Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Holiday Update

The "pressure cooker" of the holiday season is almost over. Again, its no secret that I'm a bit of a scrooge, but, since get-togethers that revolve almost 100% completely around gift exchange and blatant consumerism with less emphasis on simply being together and getting to know each other go very much against our ideals and beliefs, it can be grueling. However, I was very disappointed that we were unable to make it to Mamaw's get-together, especially since it was her first one without Papaw. Unfortunately, myself and both boys were very sick during that weekend, and I actually ended up at urgent care with a myriad of ailments the day we were supposed to be at Mamaw's. The boys healed quickly, and I am still on the mend, but we managed to have a beautiful holiday.

Santa came to visit one day early, on the morning of the 24th. The kids LOVED their train as you can see here:



A friend of mine, a grandmother herself, told me the other day, "You are a family now, make your own traditions that fit your lifestyle and beliefs, it doesn't always have to be the way 'grandma used to do it.'" She's enjoying seeing her own children and grandchildren begin their own traditions. I think she's a special lady for having this attitude. We have our own beliefs, but just like everyone else we just want to be with people who are accepting and respectful during this time. This was our second year at Kevin and Ariane's house for Christmas, and, since nobody threw up this time, it was awesome. Christmas day both families (we missed you Donovan!) spent communing with nature with a trip to High Falls State Park. Because of the copious amounts of rain that we have received lately, the waterfall was an awe inspiring experience. A stretch of river that is dangerous on a normal day (any waterplay in this area is strictly forbidden) was a death trap. Absolutely gorgeous and an experience I'll never forget.



Although Manny only slept a few hours each night, which made me tired and grumpy, I was so glad to spend those days with our friends. I think it will be this way for many many years to come (if they'll have us). Thanks for having us, Carithers Family.



The kids have had a great holiday. They have received some really really nice gifts. Both Steve's family and the Carithers understand and respect our "toy rules", knowing that its not just me being a horrible nasty "mommy dearest" in making these rules, but that its just us trying to do what is right and that its important to what we are trying to teach our children as well as their developmental needs.

After a couple of days to recuperate, my best friend in the whole world is, as I type, on her way here from St. Louis. We've been friends for 16 years and have been through hell and high water together. We usually get to see each other about twice per year, but due to well, life, its been almost a year and a half. I can't wait, and I'm about to jump out of my skin waiting for her to get here.

We'll probably do nothing but watch kiddies on new years eve, since a babysitter is out of the question, but Katy the door once they go to sleep! Happy New Year!