Sunday, November 1, 2009

OT evaluation, and "The Bug"

Manny's evaluation with the Occupational Therapist from Babies Can't wait was Thursday. S.H. stayed for about 30 minutes and asked a few questions about Manny. Honestly, I haven't been impressed with BCW this time around. Its been over a month since his arena evaluation, and now we're set up with an O.T for once every other week.. and she doesn't seem flexible at all with her schedule since she only comes to Dalton about one day every two weeks. In fact, what we really need is a SPEECH therapist, since his speech is the most delayed. Children of Manny's age should have a vocabulary of over 500 words and should be speaking in short sentences. Manny, still, only has a couple of partial words. I jumped the gun when he started saying "car" and made the video. He has not said that word since that day. I suppose I am going to have to start pushing the issue and get him private speech therapy, whether paid for by the State (which we are entitled to) or paid for out of pocket.

I am enrolling Manny in the preschool at the church just a mile from here. It is the same school where we tried to send Jake a couple of years ago and it didn't work out (through absolutely no fault of their own). Even though his birthday is one week past the deadline, I found out from a friend who works there (thanks Holly) that there are only three boys in the two-year-old class, and two teachers. The director said they'd be glad to have him. He will be attending 2 mornings per week for just about 3 hours. It will be great for him to be around typically developing children of his age. I really hope it works out. My stomach churns with every endeavor like this, since I've never had good luck with.. well... anything concerning being a parent.

This Friday evening the Carithers family was supposed to come up for a visit, spend the weekend, go trick-or-treating, put the kids to bed, party like adults Halloween night, go leaf-looking and whatever else we could get outselves into. Friday morning I awoke with a bit of a scratchy throat, but Steve got Jake off to school and I dealt with the five poodles that were dropped off at 6:30 AM. By 7:45 AM I was curled up in a ball sweating and shivering with fever and in pain from head to toe. Yup.. the FLU! I tried to finish the poodles with Manny tied to my back but simply couldn't do it. The school called to let us know that Jake was passed out in the floor, also with a fever. Steve took Manny with him to pick up Jake while I fell asleep in Manny's room (for some reason). He returned and told me the amazing news that Pops was coming to the rescue. Get this, even though Steve's mom was out of town, Pops showed up and snatched Manny for the entire day. I don't really know what would have happened otherwise. Steve's work-day was too demanding for a day off.

So... the entire weekend of fun was called off and I am finally on the road to recovery after a couple of rough days. Jake is off-and-on feeling better, Manny is just now getting the flu, and Steve is... well, we're crossing our fingers for him. He took care of me and waited on me hand and foot all weekend. I hope I don't have to return the favor to him under the same circumstances. I'd rather be nice to a well husband. I don't know what I'd do without the amazing men in my life.

Another work-week starts tomorrow. The Parents.com was supposed to come out "end of October".. and I haven't heard anything. I'm getting worried. Its Ok, though, I have a lot of stock and sick kids to take care of. Work can wait.


(Below) "Flu-stock 2009"