Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day....

.... it is Jake's Birthday "observed." Jake will be four next Saturday, and was born on Memorial Day. I am looking forward to his birthday celebration this year because I know that he will truly enjoy it and "get it" although it is hard to communicate to him that his birthday is coming up. If I ask him "What do you want for your birthday?" he gets excited and says "Birthday! Birthday cake, candle, friends!" He knows what a birthday party is, but I'm not sure he'll understand that its HIS birthday party until he's actually there and it is happening.

Birthdays are tough sometimes because I can't help but think about where my kids "should be" developmentally. They can also be tough because I have no idea what to give my own child for his birthday. Socially I am asked (and he is too) what he is getting as a gift. I don't know what to say... I figure that "birthday cake, candles, friends" are what he really wants. We actually have something extremely special planned for the weekend after his birthday. I think he will LOVE all of it.. more to come.

Tomorrow Jake has OT at 8:30 ande Manny has a re-check appointment with Dr.Michaels at 9. Cindy says that she can keep Jake with her for the first half hour at least, and bring him to me if she has a 9:30 appointment since Dr. Michaels office is in the same parking lot. I am probably due for another half-panic attack with Dr. Michaels.

Manny's balance is getting worse. He can barely walk 2 or 3 steps without falling. He was trying to watch something on TV today and was staggering around like a very drunk person trying very hard to hold his gaze on the television, failing miserably, and then falling. At another time this weekend, he was holding onto the couch and suddenly looked as if the ground moved under him and fell over backwards from a supported position. I am very frightened by this. "Vertigo" is a term that comes to mind.. he seems very very "dizzy." I am thinking that if Dr. Michaels doesn't suggest it himself, that I may suggest an MRI. Something inside of my gut tells me that we shouldn't wait.

More tomorrow.