Sunday, February 15, 2009

Numb


I have been avoiding making this post for the past few days simply because I am having a lot of trouble voicing what I want to say about it. I am dealing with the fear/realization/gut feeling that Manny has suddenly regressed. It started with him having a few extremely fussy days that seemed to be attributed to his eye teeth bothering him something horrible complete with a low-grade fever. He was impossible for the babysitter to handle, and frankly, me too. But well, 17 months old is a hard time for any toddler.

Only in the last 2 days or so have I realized that Manny has lost all of the limited speech that he had. He has at one time or another said "Dada, Mama, dog, tickle tickle, uh oh" and a few others I can't think of right now. I can't remember the last time in the past little while he has said anything, and for the past two days have been unable to get him to say anything save "GOoooooo" when he refers to the swing.

Also, he has become obsessed with the wii and constantly brings the remote to me wanting me to play it. He will sit forever and watch and pitch a terrible tantrum if I stop. It is one of the very few things that he will do lately that doesn't involve me carrying him around. There are a few other activities that he does that are odd, but its not worth explaining right now. I'm watching him closely and that sinking feeling just won't go away.

Basically he has been tantrumey and impossible to engage or console for very long for about a week and a half now and his muscle tone doesn't seem to be improving at all, if not that it is slightly worse, but its the loss of speech that has me absolutely reeling. I am just not prepared to work on getting everyone on board, yet again, and starting the whole process... starting with getting my family and friends to listen to me (which I don't feel like I've accomplished yet with Jake). What I have mentioned is met with even more denial or just is just plain unacknowledged. I am just absolutely terrified and I don't know how to process it. I only hope that I am VERY very very wrong about this.