Monday, May 12, 2008

A good day


It was cold and windy today, and I wanted to get us out of the house. I remembered how much Jake used to love the aquarium when I had a membership, so I asked him if he wanted to go there. Judging by the way he tore off his pajamas, helped me pick out his pants, shirt and shoes, and then standing at the top of the stairs saying "Ride car, penguins, ride car, butterflies, ride car, sharks!" I think it might have been a good suggestion. I was just glad to hear him talking that much.

We had a good time at the Aquarium, he ran around and yelled out all the names of the critters. We only had one real melt-down and that was just the usual one when leaving the aquarium. I think I'll be buying a membership again.

While Jake was taking a nap after we got home, I noticed that he'd organized all of his fridge letters. Thats something he hasn't really done in a while. I was glad to see it. I've missed the old Jake.



We had fun at dinner time. Manny was entertaining himself, so Jake got a ride in the carrier while I got dinner ready. He spotted a banana on the counter and asked for it.



Even more surprising today, Jake picked up his markers and began to draw. He hasn't really drawn in what seems like months.





I captured a bit of video today showing Jake stimming on the back porch. He wasn't doing it here, but lately he's been making a noise "Whoooohooooohooooooohooooo" while he runs up and down railings like this. Today, inside the aquarium, he would make the noise the entire time we were on any of the catwalks. He was quite consistent. It was like walking with a little fire engine. It was interesting but not all that worrisome. Reading some accounts by adults with aspergers and autism makes me realize that his stimming isn't exactly a sad or neurotic thing. Its still worrisome to me and I tend to ask him if he'd rather go outside or something if he's laying around, and the roadside behavior has to be stopped for his own safety, but I am beginning to understand that he does these things for a reason, and finding them more interesting than scary. So... here's the video, beginning with the porch stimming and laughter, and ending with some amazing drawing footage. All in all it was the best day in a long time. It was glad to hear my little guy talk and laugh. Turn up the volume so you can hear his constant clicking. Enjoy!